Monday, February 7, 2011

Fragments

So... I am supposed to be going over my synopsis (again) today.  In fact, I have it up in its window, and I have been working on it, but my mind is continually distracted this morning by a number of other things, only the first having any bearing on synopsis-writing.


1. I hate writing the synopsis! All of my positive comments on last year's critiques were about the actual writing sample.  Nearly all of the negative ones were about the synopsis, mostly regarding how there wasn't enough information in it.  However, that was a two-page synopsis of a 210-page novel.  This year they have shortened the required length to one page, so I must cut things short and expound on them at the same time.


2. Pliny the Elder informed me this morning that women in his day used beer foam as a cosmetic.  To do what exactly?  He doesn't say.


3. I am taking advantage of my day off to wear an impractically pouffy skirt.  This makes me want to bounce, twirl, cavort, and do any number of other equally juvenile things.  It also brings on odd looks in the grocery store, but I'm getting used to that when I wear anything that isn't made of denim.


4. My trip to the grocery store took longer than it should have, partly because of the man who had to tell me all about how he almost didn't get out of his driveway this morning, and then about how he hit a deer with his wife's car.  Poor man, I'm very sorry for you but I was only trying to pick out brussels sprouts.  Apparently I was examining said brussels sprouts in a sympathetic manner.


5. Ballet videos on YouTube.  Pathetic I know, but I seriously can't get enough of Kenneth MacMillan's choreography.  The man was a genius with movement.


6. My hair wants cutting.


7. Blueberry bagels are delicious.




Anyway, somewhere in the midst of all these thoughts (as well as many others not mentioned here) I did manage to work out my synopsis, and it really was a good lesson in word economy, though I still have my doubts about some parts.  I'll have to go back tomorrow after I've been away from it for a little while.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment